Holiday Plans? Don't Forget About Your Home Security
Holiday Guide to Vancouver Home Security for Your Alarm
Home Security Check List:
- Ensure that your security system is working and armed before you leave.
- Inform us that you are going away and ensure that your contact list is up to date.
- Examine your house from the street and make sure no valuables, like expensive electronics or artwork, are visible from the street. If a passerby can see your belongings, so can criminals.
- Lock and fasten all doors and windows locked and fastened. Doors should have deadbolt locks with a one-inch throw and reinforced strike plate.
- Secure sliding glass doors. Place a metal rod or piece of plywood in the track to prevent an intruder from forcing the door open.
- Make it appear that you're home - use timers on lights, radios, and televisions.
- Keep the perimeter of your home well lighted. You can do this by installing low-voltage outdoor lighting.
- Never leave clues that you are away. Ask a neighbor or Best Security, to collect your mail and newspapers—or ask for them to be held. You may also want to ask a neighbor or Best Security, to help with yard maintenance to help make it look as if you are at home.
- Keep some shades and blinds up and curtains open to keep a normal appearance.
- Never leave a message on your answering machine saying you are on vacation.
- Trim the shrubbery near your home's entrance and walkway. This prevents a would-be burglar from hiding in tall, bushy foliage.
- Organize or join a community watch program to protect your neighborhood.
Ask a Best Security professional on how you can start protecting your home or business.